Friday, August 26, 2011

Be Yourself Movement

Lately, I have been feeling a lot like this:




I go and visit my usual craft blog favorites (See the "Sites I Love" tab) and I think: "man, she is gorgeous...her house is gorgeous...I love her hair, maybe I should do that...she is so inspirational...I want to be that way..." 

And after a while, it begins to eat at me and I feel inadequate.
I wish I was different,
That my decorating skills were better or I did things differently,
That I dressed a certain way,
That I could have the world's most adorable child (Just like my sister Katelyn...),
and so on, and so on.

I do not like feeling inadequate.
Ever since I was little, this has been one of my fears and I have always tried to make my parents proud of me and my actions and decisions.

Then the other day, I found a blog, The Shine Project and she inspired me!
And once again, I fell into the "I wish" trap...
I was wishing that I could inspire people and make them want to be better.

Last night I was in an English class from 7 to 9:30...two and a half HOURS? Yes! But I didn't mind.
The instructor walked in at 6:59, plopped her bag on the table in front of the room and started glowing the second she started talking.
She wasn't perfect...none of us are...but she was radiant.
She smiled and laughed and made us feel like we were on the same level that she was.
And once again, I fell into the trap.
I caught myself thinking "how does she do it?"
But then I realized something, maybe I inspire people too...maybe there is someone out there who wonders what a day in my shoes would be like?

Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else. ~Judy Garland


I think there is something about each one of us that is admirable and that people wish they could have.  I think that sometimes you really have to spend some time with a person to find this quality.  You have to look past who they are on the outside and get to know them as a person. 
Sometimes, this quality is something you can see. I see people and wish that I was different and more like them.  Now I realize that I was created to be who I am, not who I wish I was.
 I am determined to stop wishing I was like someone else and realize that the person I am is unique, beautiful, smart, creative.

I challenge each one of you to join the movement to cherish and be happy with the person you are.
No. Matter. What.
Let's spread the word and inspire others to embrace the people they are. Not wish they could become someone else.
Step outside of the trap like I got caught in and realize that we each have something that others wish they had.
No. Matter. What.
Live up to your true self and don't worry what others think.
Accept the person you were created to be.
No. Matter. What.






Leave me a comment and let me know what you are doing to just be yourself.
Let's see if we can't start something wonderful!

Have a wonderful day!
Meg

4 comments:

The Pettet Family! said...

You are amazing Meg!I've always wondered what it would be to be someone like you who was smart, creative, and beautiful.
I don't know how all of us keep going some days then the Holy Ghost whispers our importance to us.
Lets see,to create is how i feel useful but family is where we know we are needed and important.
Thanks for your insight you are more talented than you know!!

lindsay said...

We all have days like this. But you are amazing and so crazy talented! I nominated you for the versatile blogger award today over at Littlemudpies.blogspot.com. Congrats!!

Cassie said...

This website could be helpful:

http://www.pennytapp.blogspot.com/

Doug and Kate said...

What am I doing to just be myself? Lets see . . .I just put that crazy, insane, full of energy, back talking little boy that you spoke of earlier down for a nap (by the way, I'm going to ship him home to you and we'll see if you still want to call him cute :) I should be doing dishes, planning dinner, cleaning my house and folding laundry but i'm not, I'm blogging. Cause i'm bummed. I"m STILL pregnant and I'm not supposed to be. I read your post and I can't help but thinking that when we're down we always start comparing ourselves to others. Wrong thing to do. Nobody is the same and we all have our different trials and strengths and guess what?- Everyone always puts forth their best self. We never see the hard things that others go through or bad habits of anyone else. Nobody wants to parade those things. So just remember that next time you start comparing! Your awesome and inspiring! Lova ya!