Thursday, August 25, 2011

Yellow Poppies...

As I have mentioned, Josh and I moved into our new home about a month and a half ago.  I have been working on decorating and making our new house our home.
Our dinning room is currently bare and I had a couple blank canvases laying around so I decided to paint something that would brighten the room up and give it some life...and who knows, if it is decorated, maybe we will make the effort to use it more often!

So first of all, gather supplies....


Then I got some opaque brown paint and painted a few brown spots on the canvas...


Just a few here and there to give the canvas some character...


Let it dry...

Remember the ivory soap trick?  Yep, we are going to use it again!


So grab that bar of soap and rup it on until there are little pieces of the soap left on the canvas...


Then, call me crazy but I mixed up some lime green and brown paint...


And painted over the ivory soap and the brown spots.


Then, after it was dry, I rubbed more soap on top and took some sky blue paint and added some yellow and brown and got a turquoise color to paint over the ivory soap and the green spots...


Let that all dry up really good then you can get to sandin!
I used the 3M pad that the hubby got me a while back...he is trying to convert me...it worked really really well for this project! Probably better than sandpaper did last time...I would recommend the 3M pad- you can get it in the automotive sections of Fred Meyer or Walmart...or if your really brave, Autozone or Checker will have it...

So then just rub away in the places you put the soap.


Next, I drew up some poppies to paint over top of everything...


Then I went back to my arsenal of paint, grabbed some white, yellow, and metallic gold mixed those up until I had a slightly shimmery yellow color.

Now this is the fun part!  Just let your creativity eek out and paint away!
I added lots of extra streaks of yellow to give it a messy feel...


See?
Anyone can paint!


Then hang those puppies up and now the room isn't so gloomy!

Poppies make everything better...yes I love them :]

Let me know how it goes!
Meg

2 comments:

lindsay said...

I love this. I'm going to have to add it to my ever growing to do list!!!

Megan @ Meg's Craft Creations said...

Thanks Lindsay! Send me pictures after you do! I want to see!