Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Challenge for Everyone!

I have the most wonderful husband in the world.
Lately, one of our favorite things to do together is go to DI here in town and scavenge for great finds...like old VHS's that we haven't seen in forever:]
The other day we went and while Josh was looking for a good movie for us to watch, I headed over to the clothing section.  I haven't ever bought clothes there but I wanted to check it out and see if I could find anything amazing.  I'm always up for a good challenge:]

So I found this button-up for $3 and the belt for $1.
Yes, I am serious!
I loved the peachy color of the top and the thickness of the belt.
One rule that I have when thrifting is that you must LOVE at least one thing about the item.  If you don't, you will never use it.  This applies to clothing as well and I definitely found a couple things I love!


So shifting gears, on Sunday, we had the best ever Relief Society lesson I have ever had. Hands. Down.
It was on a talk that sister Julie B. Beck gave last April in General Conference.  If you aren't familiar with our faith, go HERE and look around.  If you aren't a member of our church, this can still be applied to everyone.

So her talk was on balancing our time-one thing that I have really been struggling with lately with school and work and my wonderful hubby.
She says that she started making a list before the start of each new week.  There were three categories on this list: Essential, Necessary, and Nice to Do.

Under the "Essential" category, she would write her "to-do's" that would bring her salvation in the next life.  Things like read scriptures, pray, serve others, and go to church.

Under the "Necessary" category, she would write things that needed to get done to keep her house in order like do laundry, cook meals, clean the house etc.

Under the "Nice to Do" category, she would write the things that were fun, but in the end, they could not save her.  These were things like read, ehem...craft, sew.

She makes a point saying that the more essential and necessary things she got done, the more time she had in the end to do many of the things on her "nice to do" list.  She also points out that we need to go the the Lord for help in balancing our lives.  Without his help, we get side-tracked and forget the real purpose of why we made the list.

Sister Beck also tells of the power and influence that women have in our society, one thing that is easy to forget with all the media around us.  She says that the women today are "lionesses at the gate."  Meaning that the women today are the "necks" of the household, moving the head any way she wants.  She says:
"Women are the lionesses at teh gate of the home.  Whatever happens in that home and family happens because she cares about it and it is important to her.  She guards the gate and things matter to that family if they matter to her."

How many things do we do today just because that is what our mothers did?  I know everyday there are many many things that I do just like my mom.  What an influence that women have in our lives today!

So, why am I telling you this?  Because I have three challenges for you all:

1. Thrift an outfit and sent me a picture.  (Maybe we can do a post of all you lovely ladies in your thrifted attire?!)
2. Make an "Essential", "Necessary", and "Nice to Do" List for this week and get as much done as possible.
3. Become a better example for those around you.  You don't have to be a momma to have an impact on someone else.

Let me know how it goes!


By the way, only 2 MORE DAYS to enter the latest Giveaway!! For more info on entering the giveaway, go HERE!  The Giveaway closes at midnight on friday night!

Tomorrow is Awkward and Awesome Thursday...I can't wait!
Have a great day!

Meg

No comments: