Friday, September 30, 2011

Cupboard Door Revamp :]




See these beauties?  I got them from my fabulous sister Katelyn last spring (thanks again Kate!)  So they have just been laying around for months as I have been deciding what to do with them and I have finally decided!  Picture hangers!  If you don't have an awesome sister that just happens to have 2 extra cupboard doors laying around, i'm sure you could call any cabinet company and ask for a few scrap doors...that's how I found the makings for our headboard...which I will post up as soon as possible.  But just call around and ask if you can come peruse through their scrap doors...they would be glad to get their junk of their hands!


To start off, the doors had four holes in each one of them...who knows why but they did...so I patched those up with some Minwax wood filler.  I'm a big fan of Minwax...


Then I whipped out some Valspar spray paint in glossy and decided to try it out just because that's what I had on hand.  I must say, NOW I understand why Krylon has an E-Z touch nozzle...holy moly did my poor finger hurt after all THREE coats.  I literally could not push the nozzle anymore.  On the plus side, I LOVED the coverage and the color of the Valspar spray paint.  Nothing to complain about there so if your fingers are feeling tough and it's just a small project,  I would recommend it!


See? Nice glossy color :]


Then, nail your hardware into the back...


Here is where it really gets fun!  I chose to distress the edges with my handy dandy distressing pad.  If you choose to do this, be sure to lightly sand the edges so the ink will stick.


To hang my pictures, I chose to go with standard Letter Clips.  Quick, easy, perfect for this project.  So I measured out where I wanted those babies to go, heated up the glue gun and slapped them on.


Last, I tied some green ribbon around the clips to add some pizzaz...green is the accent color in our living room...hopefully in the coming week or two I can do a living room unveiling! 


And this is the finished product!  I did make 2 of these, but I don't have my fabulous shelf done that they will be sitting on, and didn't want to put another hole in the wall just for a photo:]

So what do you think?  Are you going to give these puppies a try?  Let me know how it goes!

Meg


2 comments:

Doug and Kate said...

So cute Meg! In fact, this post gave me some inspiration for my dining room! There is a couple spaces there that need filled and I think I can adapt what u did! Thanks sis! They look great!

Lyman's said...

Why didn't you show me these? They are so cute!!!! That's just what I'll do maybe with my extra doors! Love you