Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Our Headboard!

Last week, I promised you all that I would post about our fabulous headboard...well, I need to apologize, I am a little late!  But, better late than never right?  So, without further ado, here is our headboard:
(First disclaimer, I did this last winter before we were married and before this blog was born so I didn't take pictures, but I need to spice up a dresser in our room sometime soon so I will document that and post it so you guys can see the whole "glazing" technique.)

To start off, I had seen a whole lot of headboards made of doors and immediately fell in love.  The first step would be to contact your local BMC and get your hands on a couple "junk" doors...sometimes, if doors don't fit a certain job, something is wrong with them, or they are just plain used, they will give them to you for FREE.  Yes, FREE!  So it is definitely worth it to contact them and ask for some "junk" doors.

Then I primed, painted, and glazed each door.  This was by far the funnest step!  More of that to come...

After that step was accomplished, my awesome dad put them together with a strip of metal at the top and bottom and screwed the doors together to make one piece.  Then the best part comes, adding door knobs and other decorations.

My mom and I found some antiqued hardware at Porter's here in town and picked up a few wreath hangers.


I thought and thought for months what kind of wreaths I should make to hang, my two best bets were black bean wreaths or an "M" and a "J."  But then I realized MJ could also mean Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson, or many other celebrities that we aren't crazy over, so I opted for black bean wreaths.  These were super simple, just find a foam wreath form, grab some black beans, and start gluing.  When doing this, be sure that you glue the beans down in as uniform as possible rows.  Even though the rows won't be perfect, it will look polished and put together in the long run.


And the wreath hangers with a great big blue bow...I'm really loving the blue, but even more than that, I LOVE THIS:


The vintage door knobs!  My dad found them on ebay, thanks dad!  They complete the headboard.  If you are crazy about them, they are all over the internet!  You won't have to look far trust me.  The hardware for the door knobs was also found at Porter's.


This was one of the funnest projects I have done thus far!  If you have ANY questions, put them in the comments and I would be happy to clear anything up for you all.

Speaking of questions, I am hoping to get the FAQ's page up soon...you know that empty page at the top of the screen?  Well, I need your help!  Email me or leave a question in the comments!  I would LOVE to answer questions!

I hope you all are having a wonderful day!  I know we are over here...only days before Thanksgiving Break.  Man, is this break needed.
Meg

1 comment:

Burke & Chelle said...

OHHHHHH I'm in LOVE with it! I saw a door headboard a while back and have been wanting to do it for quite some time. I just haven't found the perfect doors yet. Oh I LOVE IT!!!