Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Envelope Pillow Covers (Part 1)

We have had some awesome pillows on our couches since we got married...the problem? They didn't match very well.  They didn't match what I wanted our living room to be or what it was.  They were just sad, and out of place.  Then, this week, I took the leap to recover them!  I knew exactly what I wanted them to be like and dove in!

First, I measured our pillows, they are 18".  Next, cut out the three different pieces of fabric for the cover.  For this size, the first piece was 19"x19" to allow for a 1/2" seam allowance on all sides.  This will become the front face of the pillow.
The next was 19"x14", and the last was 19"x10".  This became the back of the pillow cover, or the envelope part.

Next, take the two envelope pieces and sew a 1/2" seam on one 19" side of each piece.

 Then, take the two envelope pieces and lay them on top of the front piece.  *All right sides facing IN!*  So the pillow cover should be inside out.  Pin that together and then sew completely around the four sides of the cover.


Snip the corners to allow them to point once on the pillow.


Next comes the fun part!  I found some 3" letter stencils in the font I wanted and then found some quotes I thought were "pillow worthy."

The quote on the blue pillow says:
life doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful

And the quote on the off white pillow says:
a good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures for anything

I had to use some shorter quotes so they would fit, if your stencils are smaller or your pillow is bigger, a longer quote would fit wonderfully!  One thing that really helped me, (but I am OCD...) is to sketch the lines of the quotes on a picture of a pillow...lame...but it really helped!

After you know what your spacing will be, I started smack dab in the middle of my pillows and began stenciling on the words and slowing worked out and up and down.


Last, I took a sharpie and colored in the penciled lines placing a piece of cardboard inside the cover so the sharpie didn't bleed through.


And TADA!  Our pillows aren't sad anymore, they are fabulous!
I love the look:]

So, are you wondering why this is only part one?
Because, I have some other wonderful envelope pillow "how to's" to show you!
I'm all about simple, and these envelope pillow covers are so so simple!

Hope you all have a great day!
Meg

1 comment:

lindsay said...

These are awesome!! I have some sad pillows that could use some happy!! Thank for sharing!!