Thursday, January 12, 2012

Mustard Yellow, Welcome:]

 I have struggled with our bedroom ever since we moved in...I just didn't know which direction I should take with it.
White walls, awesome headboard (which you can find HERE!), splashed of blue and brown...to me, it has been unfinished and, dare I say? Boring.  It needed some help.
So, over the holiday break from school, I painted our bedroom a light brown, caramel-ish color, Hemp Rope by Valspar to be exact and I LOVED IT!  It is amazing what a simple coat of paint can do for a completely white room!  I think this is what jump started my motivation to decorate the whole room, finally.  So, the next question I needed to answer, was HOW?

I thought and thought, searched pinterest, thought some more, then decided to just start.
I started with some vases from DI, $1 each.

And then I got to pouring and mixing some paint.
This was also tough for me, I didn't want just a blue and brown and black room, so, because of my love affair with mustard yellow, I decided that would be an accent color to splash here and there.



This is the part I hated...the "being patient" part...pour some paint in and let gravity take it the right directions, then let dry overnight.


Dilemma #2? What to put into the vases.
This was tough, I didn't want fake flowers so I knew I needed to be creative with this part.
Then, I found the prettiest yarn dandelions on pinterest, (wanna follow? Click HERE!) and I was so excited!  As soon as I tried to find the like of the picture, the tutorial didn't exist...just the picture.  Then it was time to get creative.
I started by wrapping yarn around my three fingers 50 times.  Then, 80 times.  Neither of these were enough.  100 times around the fingers was the key.


Then, tie one single knot around the 100 strands of yarn, while keeping the first knot tight, flip the little bunch of yarn over, and tie a double knot.  Be sure to keep these three knots as tight as possible!  When you are done, it should look something like this:


Now is the fun part, start clipping all the loops!


After that is done, it should look something like this:


Then give it a good haircut.  Even out any stray strands, and when you are done, you will have something like this:


The two dandelions below show 80 loops v. 100 loops.  Big difference huh?  I had no idea...


Then, glue the dandelions onto some dead branches and you get this:






All because of those vases:]
I am so glad our bedroom decor now has a direction!  I can't wait to show you all what I have cooking up next for it!

Have a great day!
Meg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just came across your blog. I love this idea. Thanks for sharing!!