Sunday, May 13, 2012

On Mother's Day...


I can't help but sit and think about all the Mothers in my life that have taught and shaped me.  That picture from our wedding one year ago with my mom and my three beautiful sisters makes me realize how much my sweet mom has done to make us the women we are today.

My oldest sister Katelyn, to the far left, has two sweet boys, Krew and Brody.  Watching her become a mother three years ago was one of the funnest things to experience!  She teaches her boys every day and I am so thankful that they have her for a mother, to shape them and teach them to become the men they will need to be someday.

My sister Ashley, to the far right became a mother this last March, to a sweet baby girl, Bentley Ann and we love her so much!  It is such an amazing experience to watch her teach her sweet little girl already!  Bentley doesn't understand much yet, but I know that she can feel the love her mother has for her.

Then I think about all the mothers in my life that are not my biological mother, but those amazing women that have rubbed off on me, there are more than I can count!  Without these strong women to interact with, I know that I wouldn't be the person I am today.

I think about my wonderful Mother-in-Law, Laura, and how she shaped Josh to become the person he is today and I am so thankful for the time and effort she put forth to raise such a wonderful man that I am lucky enough to spend forever with.  I think about the things she teaches me, and I am so thankful to have her in my life.

I think about my sweet baby that we have yet to meet, and how I have only been a mother for 17 short weeks.  But in those 17 weeks, I have felt a love that I cannot explain and couldn't possibly comprehend before becoming pregnant.  I feel now that I have a little taste of how much my mother has worried, dreamed, and hoped for me through my life, and now I can only start to begin to feel that way for my own child.  

I think about my own amazing mother and the sweet spirit that she is.  I think of the struggle it was for her to raise not only six of her children, but her brother and sister after their parents were killed.  I think of the strength that would take, and I know that I don't have that in me.  I think of the times we would be less that delightful children and the love that she had for us to discipline.  At the time, it did not feel like love, but looking back, it is easy to see that that is the greatest form of love she could give.  I think of the things she has taught me from cooking to cleaning, to being a wife and a mother and I feel so lucky to have her.  Man, I got lucky.

So, on this Mother's Day, to all the mothers, thank you for your hard work, effort, and patience.  We couldn't do it without you!

Meg


No comments: